I really went to @gourmetcornerph to get the latest creation of Rina Andrews @home_kitchen_by_rina because it runs out so fast!! I reserved to make sure I had one. No it’s not salted egg chips! It’s potato hair ( more of like Piknik shoestring potato) but freshly made with floss. It comes in spicy flavor too. She and her staff grate the potato with a coconut grater and it’s so tedious but it’s worth it. So yummy. I eat it with a spoon because it can put more potato hair in my mouth compared to using my hands A must try – it’s addicting! It can be a topping for salad and congee #gourmetcornerph #h2hsnackfinds #h2hsnacks
According to Rina “I came up with Potato Hair when I was about to sleep one night. Because of the salted egg craze, I wanted something different. I experimented on salted egg chips but never sold it because the market is saturated with them. I decided to try something new since potatoes are a Pinoy favorite snack and are available year round. I thought why not add protein to it since its all carbs. That’s when the floss came in the picture. The product is all natural and has no preservatives. They can last up to two months packed but I just tell people its 6 weeks because I want to make sure it’s as new as when I packed them. I make them as I get orders to ensure the product is fresh and still has a long shelf life.
I started with a buko scrapper! The first trial I did, I injured my hands and broke the skin off. Then I taught my helpers how to do it. They mastered the buko scrapper better than me. I would say the first 90 packs were made with 2 buko scrappers. Now I use better equipment and its much less time consuming and helpers are way happier now because they haven’t injured themselves.
· I hope to make this the next craze here in Manila as this is healthier and much less oil than salted egg ships. I am looking at the opportunity to bring this to Cebu soon. Its available in Gourmet Corner, Kitayama Meat Shop and In RealFoodPH in Molito Mall Alabang
· I am looking for resellers who want to carry something new and different. The common comment of everyone who has tried this is that its addicting. Individuals who want to sell this to make extra income and stores who want to expand their product line.
· Not only is this a snack but it can also be used as a topping for salads, added to sandwich fillings and some people said its great with rice.
· The newest is Kaffir Lime with Black Sesame seeds. I found a way to make Kaffir leaves edible and enjoyable. It’s a refreshing snack and also as addicting.
· I have friends in the US who have ordered this already and Potato Hair has reached the US shores! They all loved it.”
Rina did not go to culinary school but she is a foodie and loves to cook. She took some culinary classes in Kuala Lumpur ( KL ) and her instructor is a Master Chef. His name is Andy and he has his own tv show in KL. She also took culinary classes in Lazat for Malaysian cooking.
She cooks International cuisine – from Italian, Portuguese, Spanish to Korean, Malaysian, Japanese, Filipino and of course Chinese.
Click below to go to her Facebook page
or visit her website – click below